Sorbitan monostearate is a brown waxy substance that is insoluble in water, can disperse in hot water and soluble in hot oil, fatty acids and various organic solvents. It is resistant to acid and alkaline, and has good stability against metal ions. Sorbitan monostearate is compatible with nonionic, most anionic and cationic surfactants. It has numerous properties including emulsifying, dispersing, thickening and lubricating and more.
Sorbitan monostearate is an ester mixture of sorbitan and stearic acid. It is prepared by dehydratation of sorbitol and esterisificaiton with stearic acid under alkaline catalysis. It can also be prepared by direct estificaiton of sorbitol and stearic acid at 180 - 280°C.
1. As a W/O food emulsifier, sorbitan monostearate can be used alone or in combination with polysorbate 60, polysorbate 80 and polysorbate 65.
2. According to the Chinese regulations, sorbitan monostearate can be used as food additives in instant coffee, dry yeast, cream and hydrogenated vegetable oil. The maximum dosage is 10.0g/kg.
3. The maximum usage of sorbitan monostearate for plant based protein products, fruit drinks, solid beverages, ice-cream, milk, fudge, chocolate, bread and pastries is 3.0g/kg.
4. Widely used in food, medicine, pesticide, explosives, textile, paint and other industries as emulsifier and dispersant.
5. Used as a gas chromatographic fixative, emulsifier and thickener.
6. The product is used as emulsifier and stabilizer in medicine, cosmetics, food, pesticide, paint and plastic industry, and as antistatic agent and soft oil in textile industry.
7. Sorbitan monostearate is an excellent water/oil type emulsifier with strong emulsification, dispersion and wetting effects. It is mainly used as an antistatic agent and a softening agent for acrylic fibers. As well as emulsifiers for food, medicine, pesticides, paints, plastics and cosmetics.
8. Sorbitan monostearate is an excellent water/oil emulsifier with strong emulsifying, dispersing and wetting effects. It can be mixed with various types of surfactants. It is mainly used as an antistatic agent and soft fat agent for acrylic fibers, and can also be used as an emulsifier for food, pharmaceuticals, pesticides, coatings, plastics and cosmetics.